<

Friday, November 11, 2005

Thanksgiving & Christmas

You know I've gotten so excited for Christmas with the early Christmas shopping I've done that I've almost forgotten completely about Thanksgiving. Now there is nothing wrong with getting all excited for Christmas to come because I mean it is happy times for most people, time to spend with family, friends, loved ones, etc. You get to shop for the perfect gift for those you care about, and imagine the look on their faces and reactions they will have when they open it. I mean thats my favorite part, getting to watch everyone open the things they receive and see the joy it brings them. I think so many people get wrapped up in lists of who they HAVE to by for and what they HAVE to get that they forget about what the purpose really is, and where the true meaning of Christmas comes from. I've talked to 2 different friends this week, and we've talked about Christmas and how their families didn't have as much money to spend on Christmas this year as usual, so they were maybe not going to exchange gifts, or they were going to make homemade gifts instead. Still that was perfectly fine with them, and makes them happy because they still have their families, and they know it's about love, celebration, thanks, Chirst's birth, and that is what makes them happy. It made me think too, and in a way it's about Thanksgiving, which made me realize that so many people go straight from, and even as Christians we acknowledge it, Halloween, and right into Christmas. We bypass right over Thanksgiving. Well at least taking more then just the day of Thanksgiving, or an hour or two for the meal of Thanksgiving. I mean in the stores you see Halloween decorations and then you see Christmas decorations. It's no wonder people never take time to really give much thought into Thanksgiving. Personally I think it's perfect that Thanksgiving comes shortly before Christmas if we look at the Holiday the way we should it could help give people a new insight on Christmas as well.

Well that is just my insight for the week. I do have the scripture reading from last Sunday finally up. It is Psalm 40. I apologize for being behind on those lately. Take a look though with either the link on the left, or your own Bibles. Have a good weekend. Go Irish . . beat Navy!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Jane said...

I love Christmas too - it makes me sad though how commercialized it has become, to the point where people barely know the reason for Christmas in the first place. As for thanksgiving, that was last month for us so I'm not so much in the mood for it anymore although it is a wonderful holiday, I agree!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home